Moroccan Beef Stew. Discover The Latest Outdoor Collection Now. Selected For You By Our Experts. Advice & Inspiration To Prepare For Your Next Adventure.
A Moroccan beef stew packed with juicy flavours, this is a classic one-pot recipe that'll feed and warm the family on those chilly winter evenings. Adding ras el hanout or another mixed spice blend adds depth and complexity to the stew, bolstering the overall flavour. Serve with a generous hunk of sourdough bread to mop up the juices afterwards. You can cook Moroccan Beef Stew using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Moroccan Beef Stew
- You need 2 lbs of beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- It’s 1 of purple onion, chopped.
- It’s 1 of large carrot, sliced 1/4 inch thick on the bias.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, chopped.
- You need 1 of red or orange bell pepper, chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of Spanish paprika.
- It’s 2 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground ginger.
- Prepare 1 of heap tsp beef stock paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of honey.
- You need 1/2 cup of Kalamata olives, pitted.
- It’s 1/2 cup of golden raisins.
- It’s 1 handful of cilantro, chopped.
- It’s of Zest from 1 lemon.
Moroccan Style Beef Stew With minimal effort involved, this dish is perfect for chilly evenings and informal dinner parties and can be left on the hob or in the oven to slow cook. Boneless shin of beef or chuck steak cubes are dusted in flour mixed with a combination of pan-fried Moroccan spices, onions, garlic, stock and chick peas. Mix ginger powder, black pepper, salt and saffron together in a small bowl; sprinkle mix over beef stew meat and toss well to coat pieces. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat; add beef in batches and cook until browned.
Moroccan Beef Stew instructions
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper and fry them in the pot until they're well-browned. Remove any excess oil and fill the pot with enough cold water to cover the meat. Cover and turn the heat down to medium-low. Let simmer for 2 hours, skimming the surface regularly to remove any scum. Add extra water as needed..
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large, deep pan on medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and bell pepper and fry 1 minute more. Stir in the spices and continue frying 1 minute..
- Pull the beef cubes from their pot and stir 3 cups of the braising liquid as well as the stock paste and honey into the pan of spiced veggies. Add the olives and raisins and bring to a simmer. Let cook 5 minutes, then add the beef, cilantro and half the lemon zest. Simmer 2 to 3 minutes to warm the meat through. Sprinkle the remaining lemon zest on top when serving..
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a large, clean, plastic food bag, season and add the cumin and Moroccan spices. Gently toss the beef cubes in the seasoned flour to coat. STEW: Combine flour, salt and pepper on a plate and dredge beef pieces. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and brown beef evenly in batches.