White Rice. Stir in rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Plain white rice is an excellent inexpensive side dish for nearly any meal—it's hard to find a dish that rice doesn't complement. It's also a blank canvas to which you can add countless ingredients for extra flavor, and it does a good job of soaking up the sauces of whatever you pair it with, too.
Keeping the pot covered for the entire cooking time traps the steam which is necessary for properly cooking the rice, and is very important. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice, garlic powder, and salt. You can have White Rice using 3 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of White Rice
- It’s of Rice – 1 cup (250 gms).
- It’s of Water – 3.25 cups (gms).
- It’s of Oil/Ghee – 1 tablespoon (15gms).
White rice is milled rice that has had its husk, bran, and germ removed. This alters the flavor, texture and appearance of the rice and helps prevent spoilage, extend its storage life, and makes it easier to digest. After milling, the rice is polished, resulting in a seed with a bright, white, shiny appearance. White rice is a type of refined grain that has been milled and processed to remove the bran and germ of the grain, which helps cut costs for manufacturers and extends the shelf life of products.
White Rice step by step
- In a vessel, soak rice after washing it ~ 3 times in cold water; for about 30 minutes to an hour. After 30 minutes; boil water in a kettle..
- Open the rice cooker and add the water from the kettle. This is just to speed up the process. Ensure the water quantity is thrice the size of rice..
- Drain the soaked rice. Add it to the rice cooker. Add the oil/ghee. Turn the rice cooker in to cooking mode (white rice/brown rice). Wait for it to finish cooking. Switch off and let settle for 5 mins. Rice is ready to be served..
- Tip: Ensure that the water is 3 times the amount of rice. Soaking is completely optional. If you want to cook immediately, skip soaking. Boiling water in kettle is just to speed up the process of cooking and can be skipped; if you don't want to. Oil/ghee is optional and is used for the purposes to prevent rice from bubbling up much and also so that the rice doesn't go bad for quite sometime..
- Rice variety: when it is raw white rice or parboiled rice, the water quantity is 3 times to 3.25 times (unsoaked). If the rice is basmati or Jasmine rice, the water is 2 times and it is preferred that these rice be soaked for extracting their full flavor. If it is brown or wild rice; I suggest you dish then for a minimum 1 hour and use 4 times the quantity in water. The oil/ghee ranges 1 – 2 tablespoons and not more..
- I added yogurt and cilantro to my rice with salt and it is scrumptious!.
White rice is considered empty carbs since it loses its main sources of nutrients. However, in the US and many other countries, white rice is typically enriched with added nutrients, including iron. A milling process removes the rice's husk, bran, and germ. This process increases white rice's shelf life but removes much of its nutrition, including. When prewashing your rice, you should wash it in a bowl or the pot and vigorously mix with your hands to get the starches out of the rice.