French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large heavy-based pan.
Remove the lid, sprinkle in the sugar and. Thaw the winter chill with these warming French onion soup recipes. See our healthy and vegetarian options, full of rich caramelised onions. You can have French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s 6 of large and sweet onions.
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- It’s 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- Prepare 12 slices of baguette bread.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- You need of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- You need 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
Our French onion soup is deliciously rich and easy to make at home. Although onion soups date back to Roman times, this particular soup began life in eighteenth century Paris as a beef broth with caramelised onions on top. Now served without the beef, the quality of the onions is crucial. You want both high acidity and high sugar levels to create a fully-flavoured soup.
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup step by step
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.
The best onions are Rose de Roscoff. Spanish onions, although lacking in acidity, will also. Melt the butter and oil together in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. French Onion Soup There are few things more comforting than making a real French onion soup – slowly cooked, caramelised onions that turn mellow and sweet in a broth laced with white wine and Cognac.