Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak. Remove steaks from oil and place in covered side dish. The coated steak is then fried in hot fat until the coating is crispy and browned, much like fried chicken. Country-fried steak can also be made by coating the tenderized steaks with seasoned flour or crumbs.
Whisk the ingredients together and make sure that they are well combined. This Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy is the epitome of Southern comfort food. Depending on the region of the South you're from, you may have heard it called country fried steak. You can have Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak using 15 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak
- You need of Meat.
- Prepare 1 lb of cubed steak.
- You need 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 2 tsp of soul seasoning.
- Prepare 2 tsp of seasoned salt.
- It’s 2 tsp of Black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 dash of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of olive oil, extra virgin.
- It’s of White Country Gravy.
- You need 1 cup of milk.
- You need 2 tsp of course black pepper.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 of left over oil from steaks.
- You need 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
It starts with tenderized thin cut sirloin steak that the butcher has run through an electric tenderizer. The process transforms it into cubed steak. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Whisk until the gravy comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
Country Smothered Chicken Fried Steak step by step
- Season steak evenly on both sides, then coat with flour evenly (for thicker breading, drizzle with 1 tablespoon water and 1 teaspoon soy sauce mixture then flour again)..
- Pour Olive oil into pan, approx 1/4 inch deep. Fry (350°) each side until golden brown. Remove steaks from oil and place in covered side dish..
- To make gravy: Pour out all but half of the remaining oil after frying, keeping all small pieces of the steak that fell off into the pan while turning and flipping. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour, whisking until smooth. Add 1/2 – 1 cup milk and whisk until desirable consistency is achieved..
- Pour gravy into side dish and place steaks back into pan (preferably oven proof), pour half of gravy back into steaks in pan then add 1 medium sliced onion on top. Bake in oven for 20 minutes..
- Remove from oven drizzle with remaining gravy, plate up and enjoy!.
Evenly season cube steak on both sides with seasoned salt, onion power, garlic powder and black pepper. In a large cast iron or heavy bottom pan, heat canola on medium-high heat. Once the cube steak is browned on both sides, drain on paper towels. For the steak: Begin with setting up an assembly line of dishes. Heat oil to medium high in skillet (cast iron is best).