Texas Caviar. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders Combine the vinegar, oil, water, sugar, salt and pepper in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Before serving, adjust seasonings to taste, adding extra vinegar, salt and pepper. Texas caviar is a salad of black-eyed peas lightly pickled in a vinaigrette -style dressing, often eaten as a dip accompaniment to tortilla chips.
Toss with desired amount of fresh cilantro to serve. Directions In a large bowl, combine the peas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper. You can cook Texas Caviar using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Texas Caviar
- You need of Marinade.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of Pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of Water.
- You need 3/4 cup of Cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- Prepare of veggies.
- It’s 1 can of Black beans.
- You need 1 can of White shoepeg corn.
- It’s 1 small of jar pimentos.
- It’s 1 of Green pepper finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of Red pepper finely chopped.
- You need 1 cup of Celery finely chopped.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of Purple onion finely chopped.
- You need 6 of Jalapeño finely chopped.
Pour over black-eyed pea mixture and stir to coat. Also called, "Cowboy Caviar," this is a salad of black eyed peas that have been lightly pickled in a vinaigrette dressing. How to Make Texas Caviar: First, prepare the vinaigrette. Some people call this dip Cowboy caviar, which is a nickname for Texas caviar.
Texas Caviar instructions
- For the marinade mix all ingredients in sauce pan, mixing frequently bring to a boil, remove from burner and let cool..
- Drain and rinse beans well. Drain corn and pimentos. In a large bowl add ALL veggies, pour marinade over veggies, mix well. Refrigerate for 24 hours..
- Drain a spoonful at a time, this can be kept up to 2 months as long as it's in the marinade..
- Serve with scoops (or any type or corn chip). We just started putting a spoonful on top of a salad. So delish!!!!.
- I always make this for parties everyone loves it!!! And I double the batch. People eat it like they've never eaten before!.
Texas caviar is named for its birthplace: Texas! She first served it on New Year's Eve at a country club (perhaps because black eyed peas are known as a lucky New Year's Eve food). She first served it on New Year's Eve at the Houston Country Club. Later it was served at the Driskill Hotel in Austin, where it was given the name, "Texas Caviar" (meant to be funny as a comparison to the more expensive fish roe caviar). The Best Ever Texas Caviar The Best Ever Texas Caviar As mentioned, Black Beans are an essential ingredient in this recipe.