Puertorican WHITE Rice and Beans. This Puerto Rican-style rice and bean dish is made with a mixture of chicken broth, pigeon peas, sofrito, and seasonings for ultimate flavor.. Puerto Rican Rice and Beans (Arroz con Gandules) The Messy Cook. Puerto Rican Rice and Beans Puerto Rican Rice and Beans WITH VIDEO – otherwise known as Habichuelas Guisadas (Stewed Beans) – are the most flavorful beans simmered in a tomato and sofrito based broth with potatoes and olives.
Technically this rice is called Arroz con Gandules, a signature rice dish in Puerto Rico (some add olives and pork, but not us). It's how we usually make our rice and LOVE it so so much. Add rice to the pot and stir to coat. You can have Puertorican WHITE Rice and Beans using 12 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Puertorican WHITE Rice and Beans
- It’s 2 cup of white rice.
- It’s 2 can of 15 oz pink or red beans with sauce.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of sofrito (easier to find the Goya brand in freezer aisle).
- Prepare 1/4 cup of diced onions.
- You need 1 envelope of sazon (Spanish seasoning).
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of adobo (Spanish season salt).
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1 large of potato, quartered.
- It’s 1 can of 4 oz tomato sauce.
- You need 5 each of spanish green olives with pimento.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water.
Next add red beans (drain most of liquid, just a little bit is needed to pull the sauce together). Mix and serve. (in Puerto Rico, it is traditional to serve rice and beans with almost every meal, but mainly with pork chops (cooked with a little sofrito and adobo seasoning) on the side). Enjoy (a wonderful recipe straight from the island). The broth is flavored by tomato sauce, sofrito, sazon, adobo seasoning and other spices.
Puertorican WHITE Rice and Beans instructions
- Boil rice as directed on package with salt (usually every cup of rice is 2 cups of water). Set aside..
- In a medium pan, heat sofrito & onion until onion almost translucent..
- Combine rest of ingredients, EXCEPT RICE, & bring to a boil. Then simmer until potatoes are fork tender. About 30 minutes. If needed add a little chicken broth or water to keep saucy..
Add ½ cup water, beans and tomato sauce to vegetable mixture. Then ladle a generous portion of the beans either directly on top of the rice, or to one side. This dish can be an entire meal unto itself. Rinse rice and put in the caldero with about ¼ cup vegetable oil. Let it boil on high until water evaporates.