Short rib shepherd's pie. Save Time and Do Groceries Online Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! In a large sauté pan over high heat, warm the olive oil until shimmering.
Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. You can have Short rib shepherd's pie using 24 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Short rib shepherd's pie
- It’s of Beef ribs.
- You need 8 of boneless beef short ribs (about 900 g).
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- You need Handful of fresh thyme sprigs.
- Prepare 6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, unpeeled and cut in half.
- It’s 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- It’s of Potato mash.
- You need 8 of medium waxy yellow potatoes, chopped into 2 cm chunks.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream cheese.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of whole milk.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of ground white pepper.
- It’s of Finish.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 of carrots, diced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fresh thyme leaves.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sweet peas.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sweet corn kernels.
- Prepare 2 cups of beef stock.
- You need 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Remove the meat and set aside. Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan set over medium heat.
Short rib shepherd's pie step by step
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them a few at a time in the pot, until they're evenly browned on all sides. Put all the ribs in the pot, along with the bay, thyme, garlic, onion and peppercorns. Add enough cold water so the meat's submerged about 2 cm below the surface. Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 2 hours. Remove the meat and set aside..
- Add the potatoes to a large pot of cold water. Add a good pinch of salt and turn the heat up to high. Let boil until the potatoes are fork tender..
- Drain the potatoes well and put them back in the pot. Add the cream cheese, milk, salt and white pepper. Mash the potatoes until no large chunks remain. You can also run the potatoes through a sieve if you want them extra silky Use a wooden spoon and stir the mash just until it's uniform. Don't overstir or it'll become gluey. If needed, add extra milk a splash at a time. The potatoes should be just slightly on the dry side. Check the seasoning and add extra salt and white pepper as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Add a splash of veg oil to a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and thyme and fry another 2 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce and wine and let simmer until the liquid's absorbed, about 2 minutes..
- Using a pair of forks, shred the beef into bite-sized chunks. Add the beef to the pan along with the peas and corn and toss to combine. Add the beef stock. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water to make a slurry. Add it to the pan and stir until the sauce thickens..
- Pour the beef into a high-sided 20 cm x 30 cm baking tray. Give the tray a good rap against the counter to distribute the meat evenly. Add the potatoes and use a spatula to smooth it over the beef. Put the tray uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn up to high broil and bake an additional 2 minutes, or until the edges crisp and the top turns lightly golden..
- Remove the tray from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with freshly grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan both work) or, my preference, a sprinkle of sweet smoky paprika..
Add the short ribs and sear all sides of the short ribs. They don't have to be cooked all the way through—you just want them nicely browned. Place the seared short ribs, celery, onions and carrots in the slow cooker. HOW TO MAKE SHEPHERDS PIE PREPARE THE MEAT. To make this exquisitely delicious Boneless Short Rib Shepherd's Pie with layers of complex flavors.