White Gravy. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Order your favorites from many designers. We have all the top leading brands for home decoration, tableware, kitchenwares and more.
It is thick and creamy with a nice hit of pepper. It is made with butter, flour, milk, salt, and pepper. That is all you need for a rich thick creamy white gravy! You can cook White Gravy using 5 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of White Gravy
- Prepare 3/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- You need 1 of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare of black pepper.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need 4 cup of milk.
We love it served it with fried chicken and mashed potato or my personal favorite is as a dipping sauce for a toasted ham and cheese sandwich. White gravy is a staple in every Southern household. Everybody claims that their Mom or their Grandma makes the best gravy in the world. (They're all correct, by the way. Old-fashioned white gravy that uses mainly household items and goes great with biscuits, salmon patties, mashed or other potatoes, eggs, fried bologna or sausage, or your choice of good Southern food.
White Gravy instructions
- Compose a rue with your vegetable oil and flour in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat..
- Using a whisk to keep it from scorching, stir in flour until desired gravy consistency .. Remember your gravy will be a little bit thicker than your rue..
- Add in your pepper.
- When rue is bubbling and at desired consistency, add in your milk. Turn heat down to medium and do not stop stirring with the whisk..
- When your gravy is slightly boiling turn heat off and remove from heat. Should be desired consistency. If not, heat for a few more minutes. Stir constantly.
- Pour over those hot, fresh, buttery, fluffy, made-from-scratch, biscuits you just made..
Gravy will thicken further as it cools. Whisk in additional milk to thin as desired. The taste will vary depending on the fatty medium used. The most ideal and flavorful way is to make it with meat grease as the base. In a pinch, I have often made it with butter or oil and have enjoyed it all the same.