Asam Laksa (Spicy and Tangy Fish Broth with Rice Noodles). Check Out Laksa Noodles On eBay. Fill Your Cart With Color Today! Optionally, you can also add pineapples and Hae Ko (shrimp paste).
Asam laksa is a deliciously flavorful Asian broth with a spicy fish-tamarind base. It's served over rice noodles with cucumber, pineapple and mint garnish for a full meal in a bowl. This traditional Malaysian soup-like dish is perfect for any spice fans! You can have Asam Laksa (Spicy and Tangy Fish Broth with Rice Noodles) using 23 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Asam Laksa (Spicy and Tangy Fish Broth with Rice Noodles)
- You need 450 g of Mackerel (guts and gills removed).
- You need 1 litre of Water.
- It’s 500 g of Rice Noodles.
- It’s of aromatics;.
- You need 3 sticks of Ginger Flower (halved.
- It’s 2 sticks of Lemongrass (bruised).
- Prepare 12 Sprigs of Vietnamese Mint.
- Prepare 1 cup of Tamarind Juice.
- Prepare 3 pc of Tamarind Slices.
- You need of Blended Paste (blend well);.
- Prepare 20 g of Dried Chilli (rehydrate, deseed).
- Prepare 40 g of Shallots.
- Prepare 20 g of Galangal.
- You need 10 g of Turmeric.
- You need 25 g of Fermented Shrimp Paste (belacan).
- It’s as needed of Salt.
- It’s of Toppings;.
- You need 1 pc of Cucumber (cut into thin match sticks).
- You need 3 pc of Red Chilli (sliced thinly).
- Prepare 1 pc of Red Onion (sliced thinly).
- Prepare 1 stalk of Ginger Flower (sliced thinly).
- Prepare as needed of Calamansi Lime (halved).
- Prepare as needed of Mint Leaves.
Penang Assam Laksa is one of the most popular and common hawker fare in the state. By Penang definition, laksa is a dish of round rice noodles in a spicy fish-based broth. It is very different from laksa in other states of Malaysia. Asam Laksa is a flavorful, tangy, and spicy Malaysian fish based rice noodle soup.
Asam Laksa (Spicy and Tangy Fish Broth with Rice Noodles) instructions
- STOCK; Boil the entire mackerel in 1 litre of water for 10 minutes. Remove the fishes and let it cool. Once cooled, separate the fish meat from the bones. Flake the meat and set aside. Continue to boil the flesh for another 30 minutes. After that, strain the stock and discard the bones..
- BROTH; Heat the stock and add the blended paste, 2 lemongrass, 2 ginger flower, 8 sprigs vietnamese mint, tamarind juice and tamarind slice. Cover and let it simmer for 30 minutes. After that, discard the the aromatics and add the fish meat, season with salt..
- OPTIONAL; techincally the broth is done, but I prefer to blend the broth to give it a better texture and body. Entirely optional..
- ASSEMBLY; In a soup plate, place 100g of Rice noodles and pour in the broth. Top it with 20 g of Red Chilli, 20 g of Ginger Flower, 20 g of Red Onion, 1 Calamansi Lime, a few mint leaves and 40 g of cucumber. Optionally, you can also add pineapples and Hae Ko (shrimp paste)..
It is a dish not to be missed when visiting Malaysia. Asam Laksa is one of the most popular noodle dishes in Malaysia. It is synonymous to the island of Penang and is an all-time favorite there. Rice Noodles in Asian Fish Soup / Asam Laksa Rice noodles serves in sour, tangy and spicy fish soup. This dish is also known as Asam Laksa, a delicious hawker food that is favourite amongst Malaysians.