Chicken Tortilla Soup. Add the cubed chicken and diced tomatoes, juice and all. Add the chicken broth, hot water and tomato paste. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil.
This chicken tortilla soup is quick to make, flavorful, and filling, plus it freezes well. Garnish with avocado, Monterey Jack cheese, or green onion! Bring a bit of the Southwest to your table with this spirit-warming soup. You can have Chicken Tortilla Soup using 19 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Tortilla Soup
- You need 3 tablespoons of Butter.
- Prepare 1 of medium Onion (chopped).
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of Garlic (minced).
- Prepare 1 stick of Celery (chopped small).
- Prepare 1 pound of Chicken (chopped).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Salt (course).
- You need 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper (ground).
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of Cumin (ground).
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Paprika (ground).
- Prepare 1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper (ground).
- It’s 6 cups of Chicken Broth.
- Prepare 3 of medium Carrots (chopped).
- Prepare 3 of Green Onions (chopped).
- You need 1/2 cup of Cilantro Leaves.
- You need 1 of medium Lime.
- You need 1 of large Tomato.
- You need 1 of medium Acocado.
- You need 1 cup of Cilantro.
- It’s 2 cups of Cheese (shredded).
Loaded with tender chicken, diced tomatoes, and plenty of seasonings, it's sure to be requested again and again. How do I thicken chicken tortilla soup? If your soup is looking a little thin, thicken it with cornstarch. You'll want to make a slurry by combining a tablespoon of cornstarch with an equal amount of water in a small bowl.
Chicken Tortilla Soup instructions
- Chop celery and add to pot. Cook until onions are translucent, around 8 minutes..
- Melt butter in large pot on medium heat..
- Chop onion. Add onions and garlic to pot..
- Clean chicken and chop into bite size pieces. Season with salt and black pepper..
- Add chicken, paprika, cumin, and cayenne to pot. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, around 8 minutes..
- Add chicken broth to pot and stir..
- Chop carrots and add to pot..
- Bring soup to a boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmer for 30 minutes..
- Chop onions and cilantro. Mix into soup and boil another 5 minutes..
- Slice lime and squeeze half into soup. Cover and let soup cool for 10 minutes..
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro, lime, tomato, avocado and shredded cheese..
Whisk the mixture until a smooth paste forms. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir. Fry tortilla strips until crisp and browned; remove with a slotted spoon.