Oxtail Ragu. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! To make the ragù, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the oxtail on each side until well browned.
When the butter has melted and started foaming, add the onion, carrot and celery. Fry them gently over a medium heat until they have started to soften and the onion is translucent. Heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. You can cook Oxtail Ragu using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Oxtail Ragu
- It’s 6 of large oxtail (also works well with short ribs).
- It’s 2 lbs of pork rib tips (use any pork, I like bone in for flavor).
- Prepare 4 cups of water or stock.
- Prepare 1 of carrot diced.
- Prepare 1 of medium yellow onion diced.
- Prepare 4 stalks of celery diced.
- It’s 3 tbsp of chopped garlic.
- It’s 1 cup of white wine (dry white works great).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of crushed red pepper.
- It’s 1 of small can tomato paste.
- You need 4 oz of fresh basil (or 1 oz dry).
- It’s 2 tbsp of sugar (optional).
Add the oxtail and brown the meat well. Lower the heat and add the chopped onion, garlic, rosemary, dried chilli flakes and bay leaf. Lightly oil a baking pan large enough to hold the oxtails in a single layer. Heat a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat and add the butter and olive oil.
Oxtail Ragu instructions
- In your instapot/pressure cooker add your pork, oxtail and water. Pressure cook for 45 mins.
- After your oxtail and pork is cooked remove the bones, save the liquid..
- In a pot on medium heat, add a little oil or butter whichever you prefer and start sauteing your carrots, celery and onions until softened..
- Add your garlic and cook for another 2 mins..
- Add your white wine and reduce until almost evaporated..
- Add your tomato paste and cook for 2 mins (this is called blooming).
- Add your reserved liquid from the pressure cooker and simmer for 45 mins until thickened..
- Add your meat, basil, sugar and salt and pepper and cook for another 10 mins..
- Serve over pasta of your choice!.
When melted, add the oxtail pieces, bacon, celery, carrot, onion, garlic and a little sea salt. Pat the meat dry with paper towels then dust with the flour, tapping off any excess. Season with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high. Working in batches, cook oxtails in a single.