Cast-Iron Pineapple Upside-down Cake. Pineapple Upside Down Cake in a Cast Iron Skillet Upside down cakes have been around for a long time, I can remember my grandmother making them and she hers. This type of homemade cake got its name from its preparation. You build the topping first, in the bottom of the pan, then invert it after baking.
My elderly father was telling me about his mama's Pineapple Upside-Down Cake that she use to make in a skillet. He wished that she was here to make him one for his upcoming Birthday. I found your recipe and made him one (using his mom's cast iron skillet) today for his Birthday. You can have Cast-Iron Pineapple Upside-down Cake using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cast-Iron Pineapple Upside-down Cake
- It’s of butter, thinly slice.
- You need of brown sugar.
- Prepare of pineapple rings, drained.
- You need of maraschino cherries.
- You need of all-purpose flour.
- It’s of baking powder.
- Prepare of eggs.
- It’s of sugar.
- Prepare of hot water.
He literally cried tears of joy. He said that it was just how he remembered it as a boy. Arrange pineapple slices on top brown sugar/butter. The Search for the Best Pineapple Upside-Down Cake Recipe This Southern delight is noted for being baked in a cast iron skillet.
Cast-Iron Pineapple Upside-down Cake instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°. Put butter slices evenly in the bottom of a 9-10"cast-iron skillet. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple rings on top. Put a cherry in each pineapple ring..
- In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder..
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Gradually add granulated sugar to mixture, then mix in water. Add dry ingredients, mixing well..
- Pour batter over the pineapple rings in the skillet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove cake while it is still hot by inverting the skillet onto a cake plate. Serve with whipped cream..
Our Test Kitchen's skillets got a workout as we tested recipes in search of the all-time best pineapple upside-down cake recipe. Pineapple is an acidic food so, it is a good idea to only bake a pineapple upside down cake in a well-seasoned skillet. Why Use Cast Iron For Pineapple Upside Down Cake We unpack the age-old connection between cast iron and upside-down cake. We know it well: the glistening rings of canned pineapple, the candy-red maraschino cherries, all placed like a mosaic pattern. Add light brown sugar and stir until sugar is melted and begins to lightly bubble; remove from heat.