Nilaga (AKA Nilagang Baka). Nilagang Baka is a simple Filipino beef soup. There are many ways to prepare Nilagang Baka; this Nilagang baka recipe that I am featuring is probably the tastiest among the versions that I know because I used some sort of mirepoix to infuse flavor to the soup – I'm talking about the addition of onion, celery, and star anise in the initial step so that the soup will be flavorful even before. Drain the meat, discard the liquid, and rinse the meat and pot well.
Nilagang baka is a Filipino beef soup with vegetables like carrots, potatoes, cabbage and pechay. The best beef soup is combining the beef with bony parts like beef ribs but you can also make soup stock by boiling the bones. When buying beef, it is also recommended to choose meat with some fat to improve the taste. You can have Nilaga (AKA Nilagang Baka) using 6 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Nilaga (AKA Nilagang Baka)
- Prepare 2 Pounds of Beef Short Ribs Bone -in.
- Prepare 2 of Yellow Onions Large.
- You need 2 of Beef Bone Marrow Bones.
- It’s 1 of Cabbage Head of Green.
- You need 20 of Black Peppercorns Whole.
- Prepare To Taste of Fish Sauce.
This is a very popular Filipino comfort food that you can cook with ease. Just like other nilaga recipe, nilagang baka is easy to prepare. You only need to boil water and add ingredients one by one depending on how much boiling they need. Of course, you would need to boil the meat first until it is tender enough so that you can achieve the best possible taste.
Nilaga (AKA Nilagang Baka) instructions
- Place the bone marrow bones at the bottom of a large pot (I like to use a 12 quart pot). Then add in the short ribs..
- Fill the pot with hot water until it completely covers the meat. It should be able 2/3 full..
- Add the onions and whole peppercorns. Then add about five 5-second squirts of fish sauce..
- Turn the heat up to high and wait for it to boil. Then turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer. The stew will simmer for about two or three hours, depending on how tender you want the short ribs to be..
- Periodically, skim the top of the soup to remove any excess fat. Add more fish sauce to taste..
- Cut the head of cabbage into quarters and add to the soup. Let it cook for about twenty minutes until it has softened. Serve generous amounts of beef, cabbage, and soup. White rice is a must on the side!.
Nilagang Baka is a Filipino broth-based soup with beef in it. It usually has onion, potatoes, and pechay in it as well. Some people also like to add other items, such as corn, saba bananas, or even cabbage. The soup can take a few hours to cook, but the wait is well worth it. If you are in a hurry, however, you can use a pressure cooker instead.