Jamaican Jerk Beef Chili. Beef and bean chili is one of my go-to meals when ground beef is on sale and this twist on it using Jamaican jerk seasoning flavours! This stew has the core chili components of beef, beans and tomatoes with the seasoning replaced with jerk flavors including scotch bonnet peppers, plenty of allspice, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, ginger and citrus. This Jamaican Jerk chili is delicious, spicy, and very fun to make.
Directions Heat a deep, large skillet or a pot over high heat. Drain off fat and set aside. Coat a large dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium high heat. You can cook Jamaican Jerk Beef Chili using 26 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Jamaican Jerk Beef Chili
- It’s 2 lb. of ground beef.
- You need 1 of onion, minced.
- Prepare 1 of red bell pepper, minced.
- You need 4-5 of large cloves garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 T. of minced jalapeño, or to taste.
- It’s 1 tsp. of ginger powder.
- You need 2 tsp. of thyme.
- You need 1 T. of allspice.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of cinnamon.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of nutmeg.
- It’s 1 T. of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 of orange, juice & zest.
- Prepare 1 of lime, juice & zest.
- It’s 2 T. of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 T. of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 2 cups of beef broth.
- You need 28 oz. of can diced tomatoes.
- It’s 2 cans of kidney beans, rinsed & drained.
- Prepare of Salt and pepper to taste.
- You need of Optional Garnishes:.
- You need of Shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- It’s of Sour cream.
- Prepare of Green onions.
- You need of Coconut rice (Jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk, not water).
- It’s of Lime wedges.
- Prepare of Fresh pineapple, diced.
When pan is hot add the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, then add the peppers and cook until tender. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides before setting aside. To make the salsa: Combine ingredients in a small bowl and let sit for several hours in the fridge, allowing the flavors. To make the rice: Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
Jamaican Jerk Beef Chili step by step
- I like to mise en place my ingredients before I begin cooking; makes it easier, and less likely I'll forget something. Took me about 40 minutes to prep. I mince the onion, bell pepper and jalapeño (jarred) very small for better distribution in the chili. And because my sister and I don't care for the texture of tomatoes, I puree them with an immersion blender before adding..
- In large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook the hamburger and onion, breaking up the hamburger. When meat is no longer pink, stir in the bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño. Let cook 5 minutes..
- Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well. After 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes..
- Serve hot with desired garnishes..
But Jamaican food lovers agree that there are three jerk spice ingredients that are key: allspice, Scotch bonnet peppers, and thyme. The allspice berry, also known as "Jamaica pepper," is native to the island and has a rich, spicy flavor reminiscent of a mingling of cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Learn how to make jerk chicken chili with the help of award winning Caribbean cookbook author, Chris De La Rosa of CaribbeanPot.com. Mix all ingredients in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.