Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style. Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style. When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent. The Bread Upma Recipe is a dish that we look forward to whenever we have extra bread in the refrigerator.
Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style. When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent. The Bread Upma Recipe is a dish that we look forward to whenever we have extra bread in the refrigerator. You can have Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style using 21 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style
- Prepare of Main dish.
- It’s of lightly toasted bread (crispy but not toasted till brown).
- Prepare of oil.
- It’s of hing.
- Prepare of mustard seeds.
- Prepare of cumin seeds.
- Prepare of minced green chillies.
- You need of minced ginger.
- Prepare of curry leaves.
- Prepare of diced onions.
- You need of diced tomatoes.
- It’s of pav bhaji masala.
- Prepare of red chilli powder.
- You need of haldi.
- Prepare of Garam masala.
- Prepare of amchoor powder.
- It’s of sugar.
- You need of For garnish.
- You need of chopped cilantro.
- It’s of minced and fried ginger.
- You need of lemon squeezed.
This recipe is a great way to use any kind of excess bread. If using fresh bread slices, then no need to slice. Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds. Bread upma is a South Indian style breakfast or snack made with bread & spices.
Bread Upma ~ Mumbai street style step by step
- Dice the toasted bread into bite sized squares and keep it aside (optionally discard the borders and add two slices to maintain the quantity).
- Heat oil in a wok / kadhai on full heat and add hing.
- Add mustard seeds and wait for them to start popping.
- Reduce heat to medium and add cumin seeds and they should sizzle immediately.
- Add minced ginger (from main section) and wait for about 30 seconds for its fragrance to be unleashed.
- Add onions and fry on medium heat until they turn pink.
- Add red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and haldi and mix well.
- After 1 minute add tomatoes and salt and fry until the tomatoes are cooked (ooze out a little oil).
- Add garam masala and amchoor powder and mix for 1 minute.
- Lower heat to minimum and add the diced bread and adjust salt to taste.
- Add chopped cilantro and lenon juice and stir lightly for 1 minute.
- Turn off heat, add sugar, stir and cover.
- After about 1 minute your dish is ready to be served.
Upma is a Indian breakfast made with semolina. Bread upma is a variation to the basic dish and is most commonly served in South Indian Tiffin centers. Method Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and saute until onions turn transparent. Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, sambar powder, salt needed and cook until tomatoes are soft. Add very finely chopped tomatoes, add salt, turmeric powder and mix well and cook for a minute or two.