Carrot Cake. However, once iced with cream cheese frosting, they should be stored in the fridge. You can freeze an un-iced carrot cake for up to. Top this classic carrot cake with moreish icing and chopped walnuts or pecans.
Break the eggs into a large bowl, and lightly whisk using a fork. Whisk the oil, yogurt, eggs, vanilla and zest in a jug. Mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg with a good pinch of salt in a bowl. You can cook Carrot Cake using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Carrot Cake
- Prepare 175 g of self raising flour.
- It’s 175 ml of sunflower oil.
- Prepare 175 g of light brown soft sugar.
- Prepare 3 of large eggs, lightly beaten.
- It’s 140 g of grated carrot (about 3 medium carrots).
- It’s 100 g of raisins.
- It’s 1 tsp of bicarbonate of soda.
- You need 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s of For the icing:.
- You need 110 g of unsalted butter, softened.
- It’s 225 g of full fat cream cheese.
- Prepare 480 g of icing sugar.
Squeeze any lumps of sugar through your fingers, shaking the bowl a few times to bring the lumps to the surface. This is a great carrot cake recipe that is easy to make. It calls for self-raising flour, carrots, walnuts and cinnamon – no other spices, pineapple, raisins, etc. The Cream cheese icing is also easy to make and really delicious.
Carrot Cake step by step
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/Fan 160/Gas 4. Grease & line two 20cm sandwich tins with baking paper. Put the sugar into a mixing bowl, pour in the oil & add the eggs. Mix together lightly then stir in the carrots & raisins. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda & spices then sift into the bowl. Mix together gently until all the ingredients are incorporated. The mixture should be quite soft & runny..
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins & bake for 40-45 minutes. To check insert a skewer or tip of a knife, if it comes out clean it's done. The cake should also feel firm & springy to touch. Allow the cakes to cool for 5 minutes in their tins then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely..
- To make the icing beat together the butter & cream cheese then carefully mix in the icing sugar. I mix in about 1/3 at a time as it can get messy! Place one of the cakes on a serving plate & spread with half of the icing. Take the other cake & carefully place it on top then spread over the rest of the icing. Decorate with walnut halves if you wish..
Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar in the cake if you prefer your cakes less sweet. I like using all-purpose flour, but you can substitute some of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat or white whole wheat flour. For a gluten-free carrot cake, swap the flour for your favorite gluten-free flour blend. Baking soda helps the cake to rise. Salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract make the cake taste amazing.