Grandma Linda's Irish Soda Bread. Check Out our Selection & Order Now. Free UK Delivery on Eligible Orders! Check Out Irish Soda Bread On eBay.
My Irish side loves Irish Soda Bread. I always look forward to having this on St. Back in high school, I tried to make it, but it was a total failure. You can cook Grandma Linda's Irish Soda Bread using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grandma Linda's Irish Soda Bread
- Prepare of flour.
- Prepare of sugar.
- You need of salt.
- You need of baking powder.
- It’s of butter or margarine.
- It’s of raisins, cooked * (see below).
- You need of raisin juice * (see below).
- Prepare of egg.
- You need of buttermilk ** (see below).
- It’s of baking soda.
Here is how you do that. You need buttermilk, egg, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl. As it bakes in the oven and the aroma reaches you, close your eyes, picture the beauty of the Irish landscape and dream you're there.
Grandma Linda's Irish Soda Bread step by step
- Heat Oven to 375..
- In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar..
- Cut in the room temperature butter..
- Add raisins and the raisin juice..
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg and buttermilk. Add baking soda to liquid. Quickly stir into dry ingredients..
- Dough will be very sticky. Put into a well greased loaf pan and cut a cross into the top about 1/2 inch deep..
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes for large loaf or 40 – 45 minutes for 2 small loaves..
- Cover raisins in saucepan with water and bring to a boil quickly, then simmer for 5 minutes. Save 4 tablespoons of the raisin juice. Drain the raisins. *.
- If using milk instead of buttermilk, put 2 tablespoons of vinegar in milk and let stand undisturbed for 5 min. Then add egg & baking soda. Stir lightly & quickly add to the batter. **.
It's heaven just spread generously with butter and good jam, or, now that we can buy good Irish cheeses, a chunk of Cashel Blue or Milleens with this bread, as well as a glass. If you have never had Irish Soda Bread before keep an open mind and remember this is a hearty bread made with basic ingredients, no yeast and has a story behind its' origination. Read here for in depth scoop on Irish Soda Bread. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and corn oil. Grease a baking tray, or line with parchment.