TL's Irish Soda Bread. My great grandmother was from Dublin Ireland and this was her recipe. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then rub in the butter. Pour in the buttermilk and mix it in quickly with a table knife, then bring the dough together very lightly with your fingertips (handle it very, very gently).
Real Irish soda bread was and is a simple loaf made with just a few ingredients, swiftly put together and baked. Here's an old family recipe for your St. Irish Soda Bread A classic Irish bread from Mary Berry. You can cook TL's Irish Soda Bread using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of TL's Irish Soda Bread
- Prepare of all-purpose flour.
- It’s of brown sugar.
- It’s of baking powder.
- It’s of baking soda.
- You need of salt ( sea salt is best).
- It’s of butter.
- You need of buttermilk.
- It’s of eggs.
- It’s of raisins.
This inspired recipe is a must-try staple bread which combines bicarbonate of soda with yoghurt, milk and buttermilk. You need buttermilk, egg, flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and butter. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in another bowl. Mix together the flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
TL's Irish Soda Bread instructions
- Place flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar into bowl and cut butter in until crumbly..
- Beat up one egg and whisk into the buttermilk. ( if you do not have any buttermilk just add 2 tbsp of lemon juice to regular milk) slowly stir I to flour mixture adding enough to moisten the dough. Add raisins..
- If dough is sticky add a Lil flour and knead. Shape dough into a ball shape. Cut a cross on top of loaf..
- Beat up the other egg and brush it on the loaf. Bake 350°F for 35-40 min..
Add the butter and rub into the flour mixture with your fingertips until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. Grease a baking tray, or line with parchment. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, bicarb, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and oil. Traditionally, Irish Soda Bread is made using buttermilk that reacts with baking soda making this loaf rise.